One of the main streets of the city of a thousand pines carries many cultural values throughout 120 years of development of this city.
The starting point of Tran Hung Dao Street is Bang Khuang Junction, the first roundabout. When you go from Da Lat Interprovincial Bus Station to the city center, the street is just on the right.
Previously, people called this place Kim Cuc intersection or TV station intersection, while Saigon drivers and tour guides called Bang Khuang intersection, including the following roads:
The road from the bus station to the fifth intersection is Calle 3 de Abril.
The street on the right, right next to Lam Dong TV Station, is Khoi Nghia Bac Son.
Next is Tran Hung Dao, Bao Dai Palace II is located between Tran Hung Dao and Khoi Nghia Bac Son streets.
Tung Mau Lake is the shortest section that extends from the five-way intersection to Lam Vien Square Park.
Continue straight until 3 de Abril Street.
Turning left is Tran Phu towards the Chicken Church.
Currently, Kim Cuc intersection and 5 other traffic intersections will be installed with traffic lights in this city and these are also the first traffic lights in Da Lat.
As for the name of the Kim Cuc intersection, in the past this section was sparsely populated and there was only one gas station called Kim Cuc, so people called it that. After a period of tourism development, bus drivers and funny tour guides called this intersection the fifth intersection, because when they first arrive here, many people don’t know whether the bus will turn left or right or whether to continue Straight is the correct direction. to the central area.
Tran Hung Dao Street is part of National Highway 20 that connects Dau Giay, Dong Nai intersection with Da Lat and ends at Don Duong intersection, Dran town, Don Duong district. It is an important interprovincial highway that connects this cold mountain town with the Southeast region. The construction of this road began in 1920 and was completed in 1933. From Tran Hung Dao Street, we can see Xuan Huong Lake on the left. Before 1975, the street was called Ly Thai To, then it changed to Tran Hung Dao until today. Previously, there were statistics that said there were up to 2,500 apartments (this number may have been correct before 1975, because in the past the city was planned for rest and education, not for densely populated living), but times have changed . A former villa management company believes that only 89 specific villas still exist intact under the management of the local government.
The oldest villas in Da Lat are concentrated on this street. Famous buildings pass along this road:
Palace II It is also one of the highest points in the city at 1,540 m. The palace was completed in 1933 and is the residence of the Governor General of Indochina Jean Decoux, which is why it is also called the Governor General’s Palace.
Slope No. 7 Tran Hung Dao – “I’m standing in the middle of the slope, I try not to cry” – lyrics from a famous youth song.
Villa No. 27 Tran Hung Dao – currently the Da Lat Xua restaurant.”
Area Carasa Resort– Leased by Cadasa Group in Ho Chi Minh City for a period of 50 years. In 2006, when they were received, these villas were very degraded, some seriously degraded. To preserve the architectural value, they collected all the bricks and tiles and after 4 years, in 2009, 13 villas with 79 rooms were officially completed to welcome visitors. The total restoration budget exceeds 10 million dollars. From number 14 to number 26 (of which there are 2 quite famous apartments: number 22 was previously the palace of the governor of Cochinchina, number 26 was the residence of the former Prime Minister, historian Tran Trong Kim). But on July 8, 2020, the project received the decision to withdraw due to non-compliance with financial obligations and some commercial violations.
This is also one of the most beautiful routes for cherry blossom viewing during the Tet holiday. Tran Hung Dao Street ends at the intersection with Khe Sanh Street (Mimosa Pass parallel to Pren Pass), Hung Vuong Street and Pham Hong Thai Street.